Do I need resource consent?

[Jump to content]


*- indicates required field.

Both the proposed Southland Water and Land Plan and the new National Environmental Standard for Freshwater have a list of permitted activity criteria for intensive winter grazing. If you can meet all of them, you don't need to apply for a resource consent for your intensive winter grazing.


  • Intensive winter grazing: Means grazing livestock on an annual forage crop at any time in the period that begins on 1 May and ends with the close of 30 September of the same year.
  • Annual forage crop: Means a crop, other than pasture, that is grazed in the place where it is grown.
  • Landholding: Means 1 or more parcels of land (whether or not they are continuous) that are managed as a single operation.
  • Pugging: Means the penetration of soil to a depth of 5 cm or more by hooves of grazing livestock.
  • Critical Source Area: Means a landscape feature (a gully, swale or depression) that accumulates runoff from adjacent flats and slopes and delivers it to surface waterways.
  • Please refer to the Intensive Grazing Factsheet for additional information about the use of land for intensive grazing.

Your session is about to time out.

You will lose any unsaved data.

Click "Continue" to extend your session.

Unfortunately, an error has occurred when processing this form. Please click "OK" to reload.